Monday, September 5, 2011

I'm Not Cinderella






Waking up one day and finding a guy whom you never knew in your house, visiting you, was quite surprising. It was a rainy and misty morning when this guy, whose name was Samuel, came to see me in our house. I didn’t know what he wanted from me. But the minute I told him to leave, he was saying that he saw me in the party I attended last night. Fresh in his mind, he narrated to me how enchanted he was when he saw me play my guitar and sing there in the dark shade of a blossom tree in the backyard of my friend’s house who threw the party.

How can he ever recognize me if I was in the dark shadow of a tree? My shirt, he told me. According to him, he saw me last night up in our balcony, playing my guitar, wearing the same shirt. Well, basically, I know how to play one, and sing, but I’m certainly not the one he saw there like what he was saying. When I showed some signs of irritation, he left then.


But that wasn’t the end of his pestering; he followed me once in a coffee shop and tried to get my attention, as well as my humor. So I told him I was really that girl he was looking for. He was a handsome teen, the guy every girl would die to go out with. Perfect figures, his blue eyes, killer smile, pretty nose, and his white skin. But at that moment, all I could notice was his emotions. From his good looks, there lie many fears and weaknesses. And then, as time went by, I felt comfortable being with him. I thought arrogance ruled inside him, I thought gentleness was never a part of him, but then, I was wrong.

All the days of summer, I was just hanging out with him until one day, during a picnic with my best friend, and his cousins, near the lake, something happened. I was sitting at the edge of the bridge’s end, hanging my thighs n the air. I was thinking about him, about Sam. He was all I had in my mind the whole summer; he was all I could think of. He came into my life perfectly, but I came into his in the wrong way.

Suddenly, he sat beside me, and for a moment, in the middle of the hanging bridge, there was a complete silence. He was staring at me, but I never dared to look at him and realize that I’m starting to fall for him. Slowly, he bowed down and got something from his pocket. To my surprise, he held my hands for the first time!

“I guess it’s time for me to give back to you something you’ve lost and something I kept for some couple of weeks, here”, he put the bracelet in my wrist, and “this bracelet is yours, right? I found that the night you stole my heart”, he said. I couldn’t answer him yes, so I just nodded with teary eyes.I lied to him again.

Then he stood up, still holding my hands, and helped me stand. “I want to ask you something. The night I heard your voice, saw you play guitar from the dark, was the night you stole and owned my heart. Now, I want to own your heart, too. Monique, will you be the music in my soul?” he asked me. Hearing him say those words made me feel guilty like I was a felon because I’m not supposed to be that girl. But I don’t want to break his heart for I already love him, and I don’t want to lose him.  

“Yes, yes, Sam. Yes”, I cried in guilt and in gladness. He hugged me, and lifted me up into the air for that moment; all I knew was that I am irrevocably in love with him.

Days passed by, and a call came by the phone. It was him, telling me to meet with him in the park right away. So I went there in no time and saw him with the very unusual look in his face. He asked me directly if the bracelet was mine, it was a tough question, you know. When I didn’t answer, he asked once more, wrathfully. I don’t know if the tears flowing down my cheeks would indicate and tell him the answer. It seemed like he really wanted me to speak. So I did. 

“Okay, this bracelet isn’t mine. And I… I am not the girl you saw that night. I’m so sorry, Samuel, I’m not your Cinderella. But believe me-“.

“How can I ever believe in you again? You lied to me the whole summer! You fooled me! I thought you were different from them, but you’re just like any other girl out there, liar!”
And that was it. He walked away and left me crying without giving me any chance to explain. It hurt me a lot. I lied to him because I don’t want to lose him. But now, I lost him because I lied to him. If he only knew, he was the best thing that has ever happened in my life.

Two years later, I went to the hanging bridge with myself alone to forget everything about him for I thought he’d come back and listen to my explanation. I got the necklace he gave me years ago in this place, and curled it inside my fist. Now, I’m strong enough to let go of everything between me and Sam. I closed my eyes, and raised my fist to throw the necklace, but, someone caught my arm. I opened my eyes and saw him. The same figures, the same Samuel I met two years ago.

“I’m sorry, Monique, but I’m glad I was wrong,” I gulped when he uttered those words. I almost died.“Because of that mistake, I found not the Cinderella I’ve been searching for, but the girl who taught me that being wrong can be the perfect choice. You are the best thing who’s ever been mine, Monique. I, I still love you”, he finally said. My cheeks turned crimson when he held my hands and looked deep into my eyes, again. I couldn’t believe he’s back. He came back. I cried and confessed,“Sam, I… I never stopped loving you.”

There, the first kiss was the start of our everlasting bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment